Proposed fee structure for engineering courses in Karnataka
The engineering courses in Karnataka may go costlier than the previous years’. As per the reports, the students may have to pay Rs 1 lakh to 2.5 lakh for each course.
- Earlier, Karnataka government has decided to implement Karnataka Professional Educational Institutions (Regulation of Admission and Determination of Fee) Act 2006 and asked private bodies / college to send their proposed fee structure.
- For Aided Colleges the fee structure would be Rs 18,090 and for Unaided and minority colleges the fee would be Rs 38,090 and Rs 41,590 (two slabs).
- According to the Act, 2006, students have to pay Rs 1 lakh per year irrespective of merit. As there will be no quota.
- One of the engineering college principal claimed that the college would cost no less than Rs 2 lakh, going up to Rs 2.5 lakh for some courses.
- “Earlier, there were NRI, management, government and Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka (COMEDK) quotas. But we used to collect some additional fee from all of them, without which it would be very difficult,” he said.
- Meanwhile, students applying to private universities will have to wait longer for some clarity on the fee structure.
How it was calculated:
- The engineering colleges have submitted the proposals by calculating the total expenditure divided by the number of students.
- The expenditure includes salary of staff, infrastructure, facilities and equipment.