- A new paper “Ecology and Evolution“ is introduced in GATE 2014.
- Examinations for all the 22 papers will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions shall be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type.
- GATE 2014 examinations will be held during forenoon and afternoon sessions on alternate weekends (Saturday and Sunday) between 1st February 2014 and 2nd March 2014. Examination for some of the papers in GATE 2014 will be held in multiple sessions. Exact details on complete examination schedule will be notified at a later date.
- Application Fee has been revised as shown below:
|Male Candidates (General/OBC)||Rs 1500|
|Women Candidates of any category||Rs 750|
|Other Candidates (General/OBC)||Rs 1500|
|SC / ST / PwD* Category Candidates||Rs 750|
Note that depending on the mode of payment (net-banking/challan) additional charges will be applicable. Challan Payment can be made either by State Bank of India or Syndicate bank.
Changes in GATE 2013 that will continue to remain in force for GATE 2014
- Application Process: For GATE 2014, as in GATE 2013, all information related to the candidates’ will be available in a single GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Candidates have to register/enroll and fill the application via ONLINE mode ONLY by accessing the zonal GATE websites of IISc and any of the seven IITs. The photograph and signature of the applicant must be uploaded during the online application. The application process becomes complete only when a printout of the filled ONLINE application with the candidate’s signature and a good quality photograph affixed in the appropriate place is received by the respective Zonal GATE offices along with necessary documents, if any, on or before 10th October 2013. Please note that application forms are not available for sale anywhere else.
- Downloadable Admit Card: Admit cards will NOT be sent by e-mail/post, they can ONLY be downloaded from the zonal GATE websites from 1st January 2014. The candidate has to bring the printed admit card to the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied / scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification. It may be noted that one of the following photo identifications is ONLY permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, College ID, Employee identification card, or a notarized affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. The details of this ID proof have to be given while filling the online application.
- Numerical Answer Type Questions: The question paper for GATE 2014 will consist of questions of both multiple-choice type and numerical answer type. For multiple choice type questions, candidates have to choose the answer from the given choices. Numerical answer type questions are not multiple-choice type; the candidates have to enter a number as the answer using a virtual keypad.