GATE 2014 | How to Apply? | Online Application Processing System (GOAPS)
All candidates have to apply via ONLINE only. Please read the details given below before you start online application process.
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS)|
|Application Fees||Details of Application fee (Mode of Payment, Bank Charges, etc)|
An online interface is provided for most of applicant’s interaction with the GATE office. With this interface an applicant can
- Do Enrolment using “New User Register here”
- Fill the online application form
- Upload photograph and signature.
- Pay the application fee through net-banking or indicate your option for payment through bank challan (State Bank of India or Syndicate Bank).
- Check the Status of your application form: Received, Under Scrutiny, Accepted, Defect Status, Status after Rectification, Rejected with Valid Reasons, Admit Card Ready for Download, etc.
- Contact the Zonal GATE office in case of any queries/problems.
- Download Admit Card.
- View your responses, marks and GATE score.
The login to this interface is through your GOAPS Enrolment ID and a GOAPS password. Length of the password should be 8 -15 characters. Please note that \a, \b, \n, \r, \t, \\ are not permitted in the password. Keep this information safe and do not disclose it to anyone.
Please set the following browser settings to ensure that the application process is error free
- In Google Chrome: Settings > Advanced Settings > Privacy: Content Settings > Cookies > Allow local data to be set
- In Firefox: Tools (or Edit) > Options (or Preferences)> Privacy > Firefox will > Use custom settings for history > Accept Cookies from sites
- In IE: Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Advanced button > Check Override Automatic Cookie Handling > Click on Accept radio buttons > Always allow session cookies.
- In IE: Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level… > Scroll down to get Scripting > Enable Active Scripting.
- GOAPS: GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS website) can be accessed from the website of the respective Zonal GATE Offices or from the website of the GATE 2014 Organizing Institute.
- Enrolment: You must first enroll yourself, by providing a valid email address, mobile number and a GOAPS password. Choose the email id that you check frequently, as all communications to you from the GATE Offices will be sent to this address (DO NOT USE ANYBODY ELSE’S e-mail ADDRESS. ONLY ONE PERSON CAN REGISTER WITH ONE e-mail ADDRESS). Give your personal mobile number because most of the communications may also be sent via SMS.
- GOAPS Password: This will be the password that you will be providing to the GOAPS during the Enrolment. You must remember this along with the GOAPS Enrolment ID to login to GOAPS. Choose a password that cannot be guessed easily (it should NOT be your name, date of birth, or some string of numbers or letters like 12345, abcd, etc.), so as to ensure that the data you provide is not accessible to any person other than yourself. Length of the password should be 8 -15 characters. The following are not permitted:
\a, \b, \n, \r, \t, \\
- GOAPS Enrolment ID: Upon registration, an email and SMS containing your GOAPS Enrolment ID will be sent to you. You need to remember this along with the GOAPS password for all GATE 2014 related communications/website operations.
- Data Requirement for Application Filling: Before you login to GOAPS using Enrolment ID and Password, keep the following information ready:
- Personal information (name, date of birth, your personal mobile number, parent’s name, parent’s mobile number etc.)
- Address for Communication (including PIN code)
- Eligibility degree details (College address, PIN code of college)
- GATE paper, choice of GATE Examination Cities
- Good quality image of your photograph conforming to the requirements specified in Photograph Requirements
- Good quality image of your signature conforming to the requirements specified in Signature Specifications.
- Details of a valid ID Proof that you will carry to the examination hall.
- Optional: Your Netbanking login and password to make the application fee payment via online net banking mode. Alternately, you may wish to pay via the challan mode.
- Application Filling: Fill in the necessary data in the online application form by carefully following instructions given there. You may edit the data at this stage if you require. Upload the required soft copy of photo and signature. Check the correctness of the photo and signature that are uploaded. If you are not satisfied, you may upload them again.
- You will have to select one of the two payment options (details given below) while filling the online form.
- The GOAPS allows you to enter data, “Save” partially filled form, “Logout”, and resume filling in by logging in again. You may address the error messages that may appear on saving the filled in data.
- Before you make the payment, you have to carefully check for any errors or missing data.
- Once you press “Submit & Proceed to Payment” button, no further changes to the application can be made.
- After processing “Submit & Proceed to Payment” you will be taken to payment option where you may choose offline or via Netbanking option. Candidates who have selected via Netbanking option will follow the instructions given below for online net-banking, in the payment section and complete the payment process. Those who have selected the challan payment option will directly proceed to the next step “Proceed Next for PDF Download”.
- You will then see two links namely “Download Challan for Payment” and “Download Filled Application”. You have to download the PDF files from these links and print the files. In case if you have opted payment via Netbanking, you will have to download only filled in application form from “Download Filled Application”. The download application form will contain two pages as mentioned below
- Page 1: Instructions to the candidate and address slip where you need to send the hard copy
- Page 2: The application form. Note that the bottom part may contain the certificate to be signed by the college Principal/HOD or may be left blank (depending on your eligibility status).
- Those who opted offline payment: Optional page for candidates who select “bank challan” mode of payment (as against the net-banking). This page will contain 3 copies of the challan to be processed with the respective banks (SBI or Syndicate Bank).
- Problems in Login into GOAPS –This step may be used, if the candidate forgets the password or the Enrolment ID or did not receive the Enrolment ID. Visit the “Problems in Login into GOAPS” link on the GOAPS website.
- In case of forgotten Enrolment ID or non-receipt of Enrolment ID via email, candidate must provide Mobile Number and email address. The Enrolment ID will be sent to the candidate via SMS/email.
- In case of forgotten password, candidate must provide Mobile Number, Email and Enrolment ID, which will be verified and a “one time password” (OTP) will be sent via Email and SMS using which candidate can reset new GOAPS password.
- In case of forgotten both Enrolment ID and password, candidate must provide Mobile Number and email address. The Enrolment ID will be sent to the candidate via SMS/email.
Please pay attention to upload good quality photograph. Poor quality of photographs submitted will lead to rejection of your GATE application, without any refund of the application fees. The GATE Score card will be printed with the photograph you submit.
- The photograph must be in color and must be taken in a professional studio. Photograph taken using a Mobile phone and other self-composed portraits are NOT acceptable.
- Photograph must be taken in a White or a very light background.
- The photograph must have been taken after 1st July 2013.
- In the photograph, the height of the face (between chin and the top of the forehead) should occupy about 50% of the height of the photograph.
- The main features of the face must not be covered by hair of the head, any cloth or any shadow. The photograph must show full frontal view with both ears being visible and eyes open.
- If you normally wear spectacles, glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. Glare can be avoided with a slight downward tilt of the glasses or by removing the glasses for the photo shoot.
- You must not wear spectacles with dark or tinted glasses, only clear glasses are permitted.
- Ask your photo studio to provide the image in a JPEG format and also on a standard 3.5 cm × 4.5 cm print (350 x 450 pixels).
- Have pixel width in the range 250 to 500 and ensure that the width to height aspect ratio is in the range 0.66 to 0.86.
- File size should be between 5KB and 100KB.
- For your own benefit it may be prudent not to intentionally change your facial features or hair style as in the photograph until the day of the exam.
|Not Acceptable Photograph||Reason for Rejection||Acceptable Photograph|
|Photo taken with Mobile phone; Distorted face|
|Facial Area is less than 50% of total|
|Not looking straight|
|Covering facial features|
|Shadow on face|
|Improper flash or Improper Lighting|
|Too much glare on spectacles|
|Dark/Tinted Spectacles or Sunglasses|
|Poor Digital Resolution|
- Please draw a rectangular box of size 7 × 2 cm on an A4 white paper. Put your signature with black or dark blue ink pen within this box.
- Scan the signature using scanner at 200 pixels per inch (dpi), and crop the image to the box.
- Maintain 420 pixels in width and 120 pixels in height.
- Have pixel width in the range 300 to 550 and ensure that the width to height aspect ratio is in the range 3.15 to 4.
- Save the image in JPEG format. Only JPEG image formats will be accepted.
- Ensure that the file size is between 5KB and 100KB.
- Photographs of the signatures taken using mobile phone or digital cameras are not acceptable, and can result in disqualification of the application without any refund of the fee.
|Not Acceptable Signature||Reason for Rejection||Acceptable Signature|
|Signature in Capital|
|Signature not in full and in Capital|
|Signature not in full|
|Signature taken via mobile phone / camera|
|Poor Digital Resolution|
All candidates have to apply only ONLINE. Details of the application fee are shown below. The application fee is non-refundable.
|Male Candidates (General/OBC)||Rs 1500|
|Women Candidates of any category||Rs 750|
|Other Candidates (General/OBC)||Rs 1500|
|SC / ST / PwD* Category Candidates||Rs 750|
Note that depending on the mode of payment (net-banking/challan) additional charges will be applicable as shown in a table below. All charges given below are in Indian Rupees.
|Category||Mode||Application Fee||Bank Charges||Total|
|Male Candidates (General/OBC)||Online Net-banking||₹ 1500||₹ 10||₹ 1510|
|SBI Challan||₹ 1500||₹ 25||₹ 1525|
|Syndicate bank||₹ 1500||₹ 25||₹ 1525|
|SC / ST / PwD* category candidates||Online Net-banking||₹ 750||₹ 10||₹ 760|
|SBI Challan||₹ 750||₹ 25||₹ 775|
|Syndicate bank||₹ 750||₹ 25||₹ 775|
|Women Candidates||Online Net-banking||₹ 750||₹ 10||₹ 760|
|SBI Challan||₹ 750||₹ 25||₹ 775|
|Syndicate bank||₹ 750||₹ 25||₹ 775|
|Other Candidates (General/OBC)||Online Net-banking||₹ 1500||₹ 10||₹ 1510|
|SBI Challan||₹ 1500||₹ 25||₹ 1525|
|Syndicate bank||₹ 1500||₹ 25||₹ 1525|
* PwD: Person with Disability
- From the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS), you will be redirected to the website of the bank of your choice.
- You will have to login with your bank’s Netbanking (or Internet Banking) user ID and password.
- The fee amount and bank charges will be shown to you, and you have to confirm that the payment is for GATE 2014.
- Once you confirm and the payment is successful, you will be redirected back to the GATE Online Application Website.
- If you have some difficulty (due to internet connection or power failure), and you are not sure whether your payment has been processed or not, then please login back to GOAPS and check the status of the payment. You can also check the status from your bank.
- In case the fee amount has been debited from your bank account , however, GOAPS does not acknowledge any fee payment, then the money will be credited back to your account within three working days.
- In such a case, you may initiate a fresh payment using GOAPS, even without waiting for the money to be credited back to your account, so that your application is on time. You may wish to switch to the offline challan payment.
- If you had chosen offline payment option while filling in the form, you will be provided with a copy of the challan in triplicate (PDF file) with your details already filled in. You have to print this file on an A4 size paper, and have to fill in a few more details such as date and signature.
- Once the PDF of the online application form is generated, you have to wait for at least 48 hours to visit the bank with the filled challan and make the fee payment.
- You may take the challan to any of the nearest branches of State Bank of India (SBI) or Syndicate Bank and make the application fees payment. Note that for this, you do not need to have an account in that branch.
- The bank teller will verify the details printed on the challan with the data available on their Management Information System (MIS) and then accept the payment. Note that your payment will NOT be accepted if you go to the bank earlier than 48 hrs as mentioned in Point no. 2 above. This is because it will take some time after generation of PDF online application to reflect the data in the respective bank MIS.
- The bank will retain one copy of the challan and give you back the remaining two copies: one of which you are required to send along with the printed application form, while the other is for your record.
Eligibility criteria and necessary supporting documents can be found from the Eligibility table for GATE.
- Applicants who claim to be in any of the category SC/ST/PwD have to submit valid document issued by competent authority, to qualify for the reduced fee.
- Applicants who require a scribe to assist writing the exam, also need to provide a valid PwD certificate.
Authorities Empowered to Issue Certificates (SC/ST)
- District Magistrate/ Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/ Additional Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ City Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluk Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner.
- Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tahsildar
- Sub-Divisional Officer of the area where the Candidate and/or her/his family normally resides
- Administrator/ Secretary to Administrator/ Development Officer (Lakshadweep Islands)
Certificate issued by any other official will not be accepted.
In order to avail concession under the PwD category, the candidates should attach a recently obtained proper PwD certificate, which is to be submitted to the admitting institution at the time of admission. The onus of verifying PwD certificate lies with the admitting institute. The GATE committee will not be responsible for any incorrect declaration of the PwD status of candidates.
Certificate from Principal
Candidates who mention that they are yet to complete their course, will receive a “Certificate from Principal” section printed on the bottom part of the PDF file. Before you submit the application to the zonal GATE Office, it is MANDATORY to obtain the signature and seal of the college Principal/HOD on this.
The printed application form along with the supporting documents must be mailed by Speed Post or Registered Post to the Zonal Office, as mentioned in the printed address slip that comes along with the PDF file of the application form. Before mailing, the following procedures need to be completed.
- Out of the printed pages, keep one copy of the application form (page 2) for your record and process the other copy (page 3) as follows
- Paste a standard passport size color photograph of yourself in the space provided, and sign the application in the box provided. This photograph that you paste and signature should EXACTLY match with the photograph and signature that you uploaded electronically on GOAPS. Your application is liable to be rejected if there is any mismatch between the two!
- In case the certificate from Principal/HOD happens to be the proof of your eligibility, submit the whole page (without tearing it off) in your college Principal/HOD’s office. The bottom portion of the printed form contains the part that your college Principal/HOD has to certify. Once you obtain the Principal/HOD’s signature and seal, this page is ready for mailing to GATE Office.
- In case you had paid the application fee by the challan mode, then the bank would have returned the stamped copy of the challan to you. This stamped copy of the challan has to be sent to GATE Office along with the other documents.
- You will also find half a page of the instructions to the candidate and half a page of the address slip. Cut this address slip, which contains the address of the Zonal Office (along with the application bar code), where the application form needs to be sent.
- Make sure that you are ready with the following CHECK LIST:
- The signed application form (with photograph affixed) with Principal/HOD’s certificate, if that is proof of your eligibility to appear in GATE 2014.
- Other eligibility documents required to appear for GATE 2014 (e.g. degree certificate).
- Category certificate for claiming discounted application fee.
- GATE copy of challan duly stamped by the bank after payment of fees (you need not submit challan in case of payment by net banking).
Note: Ensure that the certificates/documents that are enclosed in your envelope belong to you. Sometimes, certificates/documents of one candidate may get mixed up with other candidate’s certificates/documents leading to difficulties for both the candidates. Hence, double-check before necessary documents are placed inside the envelope
- Use A4 size envelope and put application form along with other documents mentioned in the CHECK LIST above.
- Do not fold the application form.
- Do not fill address by hand, as the address slip provided to you contains a barcode necessary for processing your application. Note that barcodes on these address slips are different for each candidate. DO NOT use someone else’s address slip for your application.
- Secure the address slip firmly to the envelope using good glue or with additional transparent sticky tape (cello-tape)
- Send the packet by Speed Post (preferably) or by Registered Post to the address mentioned. The application packet should reach the respective GATE offices on or before 10th October 2013 (Thursday). Alternatively it can also be handed over personally to the respective Zonal GATE Office on or before 10th October 2013 (Thursday). (Note: Applications reaching respective GATE offices later than 10th October 2013 may not be considered even if they are post marked 10th October 2013 or earlier). Do not use any other means of sending the application form (e.g. by courier) other than those mentioned above.
- Do not forget to attach necessary documents.
The current status of your application will be updated after the receipt and scrutiny of your application by the respective zonal GATE Office. This status can be checked anytime by logging into GOAPS.