GATE 2014 | Eligibility
Before starting the application process, the candidate must:
1. Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria (given below) of GATE 2014.
2. Determine the GATE paper you wish to appear for. A candidate is allowed to appear in ONLY ONE paper.
3. Choose the City of choice to appear for the examination: There are three choices, in the order of preference. The candidate can choose a particular city as the first choice for appearing GATE 2014 examination. The corresponding zone to which this first choice city belongs will be known. The candidate can then choose his/ her second choice only from the cities available in that zone. However, as an additional option, a third choice is also introduced in GATE 2014. The list of third choice cities will be as specified by each zone. Note that this third choice city may either be from the zone to which the first and second choice cities belong or from some other zone. The third choice will be considered only when the candidate could not be accommodated either in first or second choice cities. The tentative zone wise list of cities for GATE 2014 is given in Examination Cities. However, the GATE Committee reserves the right to add a new city or remove an existing city and allot a city that may not be any of the choices of a candidate.
The categories of candidates eligible to appear for GATE 2014 are given in Table below.
Necessary supporting documents must be sent along with the printed version of the online application by speed/ registered post to the respective Zonal Offices. Please study the following table carefully and make sure that your year of qualification is not later than what is specified.
|Qualifying Degree (short)||Qualifying Degree/Examination (Descriptive)||Description of Eligible candidates||Year of Qualification cannot be later than||Copies of Certificates to be submitted|
|Passed in the year 2013 or earlier||Expected to complete in 2014 or later|
|B.E./B.Tech/ B.Arch/ B.Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/ Pharmacy (Post-Diploma/ Post B.Sc./4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2014||Degree Certificate/ Provisional Certificate/ Course Completion Certificate||Certificate from Principal|
|B.S||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/ 4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2014||Degree Certificate/ Provisional Certificate/ Course Completion Certificate||Certificate from Principal|
|M.Sc./M.A./ MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed||2014||Degree Certificate/
to Masters degree)
|Certificate from Principal|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech
|Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/ Technology (Four year programme)||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed||2016||Degree
|Int. M.E./M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree programs or Dual Degree programs in Engineering/ Technology (Five year
|Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed||2015||Degree
|Certificate from Principal|
|Int. M. Sc/
|Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the final year or already completed||2014||Degree Certificate / Provisional Certificate / Course Completion Certificate||Certificate from Principal|
|B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch. equivalent examinations, of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/ UPSC/ AICTE (e.g. AMIE by
Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)
|Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA||Professional
Certificate/ Provisional Certificate/
|Copy of Mark sheet
NOTE: If a candidate is pursuing any higher degree or already obtained a degree higher than that mentioned in the above table, then the candidate can select the relevant minimum required qualifying degree while filling the application form.
Certificate from Principal
Candidates who have to submit a certificate from their college Principal, as determined from the above table, have to obtain a signature from their Principal/HOD along with the seal on the “Certificate from the Principal” format that will be printed on the application PDF file which is generated after completion of the online application submission.
Candidates with backlogs
Candidates who have appeared in the final semester/year exam in 2013, but with a backlog (arrears/failed subjects) in any of the papers in their qualifying degree should
1. submit a copy of any one of the marks sheets of the final year,
2. have to obtain a signature from their Principal/HOD along with the seal on the “Certificate from the Principal” format that will be printed on the application PDF file which will be generated after completion of the online application submission.